First WWI draftees left on Sept. 6, 1917

EDITOR’S NOTE: The following is another article on Findlay area history adapted from a series written from 1959 to 1974 by the late R.L. Heminger, publisher and editor of The Courier.   By R.L. HEMINGER   With the completion of the drawing at Washington to...

World War I draft procedures recalled

EDITOR’S NOTE: The following is another article on Findlay area history adapted from a series written from 1959 to 1974 by the late R.L. Heminger, publisher and editor of The Courier.   By R.L. HEMINGER   An item in the 50-years-ago column a few weeks ago with...

Main Street blocks honor bank presidents

EDITOR’S NOTE: The following is another article on Findlay area history adapted from a series written from 1959 to 1974 by the late R.L. Heminger, publisher and editor of The Courier.   By R.L. HEMINGER   The Niles block at the southeast corner of South Main and...

Several covered bridges over Blanchard River

EDITOR’S NOTE: The following is another article on Findlay area history adapted from a series written from 1959 to 1974 by the late R.L. Heminger, publisher and editor of The Courier.   By R.L. HEMINGER   Spanning the Blanchard River in earlier days were a number...

Indian villages on banks of Blanchard River

EDITOR’S NOTE: The following is another article on Findlay area history adapted from a series written from 1959 to 1974 by the late R.L. Heminger, publisher and editor of The Courier.   By R.L. HEMINGER   There are believed to have been two Indian villages on the...

Blanchard River had a great variety of fish

EDITOR’S NOTE: The following is another article on Findlay area history adapted from a series written from 1959 to 1974 by the late R.L. Heminger, publisher and editor of The Courier.   By R.L. HEMINGER   The important role of the Blanchard River in the life of...

River made life easier for county’s pioneers

EDITOR’S NOTE: The following is another article on Findlay area history adapted from a series written from 1959 to 1974 by the late R.L. Heminger, publisher and editor of The Courier.   By R.L. HEMINGER   The Blanchard River is one of those matters we are apt to...

History relates early encounter with a bear in county

EDITOR’S NOTE: The following is another article on Findlay area history adapted from a series written from 1959 to 1974 by the late R.L. Heminger, publisher and editor of The Courier.   By R.L. HEMINGER   A history of the Maumee Valley, written by H.S. Knapp of...

Indian reservation once in Hancock County

EDITOR’S NOTE: The following is another article on Findlay area history adapted from a series written from 1959 to 1974 by the late R.L. Heminger, publisher and editor of The Courier.   By R.L. HEMINGER   In an eastern area of Hancock County once was located a...

Early store operated a wireless station

EDITOR’S NOTE: The following is another article on Findlay area history adapted from a series written from 1959 to 1974 by the late R.L. Heminger, publisher and editor of The Courier.   By R.L. HEMINGER   This is national radio month (May) and it is interesting to...