REINEKE FORD   ||   NEWS UPDATES

Progress: City gears up for road work, downtown project

By MAX FILBY STAFF WRITER This year will be one of the busiest on record for capital improvement projects in Findlay. Officials are moving forward with several resurfacing projects and also plan to revitalize the downtown area. The downtown project could begin in early 2016, but...

Progress: Community Foundation focusing on scholarships

By MAX FILBY STAFF WRITER For 2015, the Findlay-Hancock County Community Foundation is focusing on scholarships. The foundation has been awarding them for 20 years now. The first scholarship from the foundation, the Linda B. Ziegler Scholarship, was awarded to Julie Kidwell in...

Progress: Downtown Findlay joining Ohio Main Street Program

By MAX FILBY STAFF WRITER Downtown Findlay is aiming to make itself a destination and with everything going on there, it isn’t difficult. “People just want to be where the action is,” said Maria Reza, downtown coordinator. Marathon Petroleum’s big...

Progress: Findlay, county housing market slowly rising

By MAX FILBY STAFF WRITER Findlay and Hancock County’s housing market is on the rise. It’s a slow one, but Tom Ross, president of the Heartland Board of Realtors, said it’s a positive one. A Findlay home is selling, on average, for about $2,000 more than it did...

Progress: Fresh Encounter acquires 11 more grocery stores

By MAX FILBY STAFF WRITER Fresh Encounter, a Findlay-based grocery store chain that operates the local Great Scot stores, had a big growth spurt in 2014. Fresh Encounter already had 25 stores in Ohio and Indiana, and has added 11 more stores in west central and northwestern Ohio...

Progress: Performing arts center construction advances

By MAX FILBY STAFF WRITER The director of the Marathon Center for the Performing Arts is already looking at lining up gigs for the new facility. Jim Kreutzberg traveled to New York in late 2014 to start looking into what kind of performances the center could offer visitors....

New city government website to emphasize communication

By MAX FILBY STAFF WRITER Findlay plans to launch a new city government website in the next few weeks. An exact startup date hasn’t been set. The website at findlayohio.com will allow the city to streamline the way it provides information to Findlay residents by using a new...

WITH VIDEOS, TIMELINE: Board votes to sell ‘recovery home’

At a meeting held Tuesday afternoon at St. Andrew’s United Methodist Church, the Hancock County ADAMHS Board voted not to go forward with the Greendale Avenue recovery home. They will instead sell the home to Save Our Neighborhoods, LLC. Thomas Drake, spokesperson for Save...

WITH VIDEO: Ministerial association lists 6 options for recovery house

By MAX FILBY STAFF WRITER A report released Monday summarizes recent public meetings about a proposed addiction recovery home in Findlay, and offers the community options. The Findlay Ministerial Association released the document during a press conference at Howard United...

Findlay rolling out resurfacing plans

By MAX FILBY STAFF WRITER A little more than $1.2 million will be spent this summer to resurface four streets in Findlay. The city is fronting 20 percent of the money while the state will fund the other 80 percent. The roads that will be resurfaced include Bright Road, from...