Today marks 40 years since Findlay received its designation from Congress as Flag City, USA.
According to Bob McKee of Findlay’s Flag Heritage Association, the designation was the idea of Findlay resident John B. Cooke, who enlisted help from the Women’s Division of the Chamber of Commerce to involve the community in the effort to obtain the title.
The City of Findlay was named the Flag Capital of the United States on Flag Day, June 14, 1968, by a Congressional proclamation made June 12, 1968 by the late Rep. Jackson E. Betts.
Findlay was declared Flag City, USA on May 7, 1974, by House Joint Resolution 1003, introduced by the late Rep. Tennyson Guyer.
The Women’s Division of the Chamber of Commerce, created to promote the U.S. flag in the Findlay area, was renamed to the Flag City Hancock Heritage Association. It is now known as the Flag Heritage Association.
The association presents the Flag City Awards annually on July 4 to a group and an individual who promote the flag.
The association also maintains a display of U.S. flags at the Findlay Municipal Building. Eventually, the group plans to have all 27 versions of the flag in its collection. McKee said the group is about two-thirds of the way to its goal.
Individuals are asked to “adopt” a flag by donating the money to purchase one of the 27 flags and are recognized with a plaque at the display.
Donations may be arranged by calling McKee at 419-299-3616.
- The Docket
- Member Service