EDITOR’S NOTE–This is another article on Findlay-area history adapted from a series written from 1959 to 1974 by the late R.L. Heminger, publisher and editor of The Courier.
By R.L. HEMINGER
Newspapers have been recording the happenings of the local community for a good many decades. In fact, this has been true as far back as 1836, when the first newspaper was established here.
Files of the early newspaper days locally are very incomplete. Some do exist and a perusal of their contents provide an interesting and absorbing excursion into the past.
Then, there are clippings from old newspapers that are reminders of other days.
Mrs. Henry C. (Georgia D.) Fuller, of Phoenix, Ariz., formerly of Findlay, has sent us one (in 1968) which she discovered in a family Bible. It tells of a copy of The Courier of Jan. 5, 1865, which was brought into the newspaper’s office at a later time by O.L. Huffman, of Rawson.
The Civil War was still in progress at the time. The Courier was almost 30 years old as a newspaper in 1865. It was a weekly then. In 1865 the newspaper was published by L. Glessner and son.
THE CONTENTS OF THE 1865 newspaper are reviewed interestingly. The advertisements furnish a record of business in those days. Under the heading of Findlay Business Directory one finds the names of S.S. Smith, “fashionable tailor,” Dr. J. Spath (Spayth?), physician; American House, S. Renninger, proprietor; A. Gaiselhart, barber and hairdresser; Dr. B. Beach, physician; W. Mungen, attorney; Dr. H.D. Ballard, physician; J.H. Burket, attorney; E. Becker, who was announcing that he was opening an eating establishment that would serve oysters, pig’s feet, tripe, spiced tongue, lobsters, turtle soup and cigars.
Other physicians listed included Dr. W.O. McLeod, Dr. A. Hurd and Dr. F.W. Entrikin. Attorneys listed were Gribben and Shafer, Goit and Parker, Brown and Burket and McLeod and Hamlin.
Schwab and Wheeler conducted a clothing house in the Wheeler Block, which then stood at the southwest corner of South Main and West Crawford streets.
F. Huffman told the people he had a stock of groceries that he would “sell as cheap as they can be bought elsewhere, if not a little cheaper.”
J.M. Huber had an entire column advertising his drugs and stated that he had “no elephant, kept no brass band and couldn’t brag worth a cent.”
B.B. Barney, proprietor of the Old White Corner at the southwest corner of South Main and Court streets, made know that he was settling the estate of “High Prices,” deceased.
G. and D. Rosenthal, proprietors of a general merchandise store, addressed their advertisement to the following:
“Democrats, Republicans, Copperheads, Abolitionists, Butternuts, miscongenationists, sympathizers, loyalists, rebels, woolly heads, soft heads, hard heads, round heads, farmers, mechanics, tradesmen, Jews and Gentiles, ‘the whole world and the rest of mankind.'”
HENRY SHEETS WAS THE auditor of Hancock County at the time and D.D. McCahan was sheriff; A.W. Frederick, probate judge, and Henry Byal, treasurer. Parlee Carlin was representative; Jacob Bushong, John Cooper and William Taylor were county commissioners. Henry Brown was prosecuting attorney. Joel Pendleton was county engineer. James Denison was clerk of courts. Adam Steinman was county recorder. Abraham Yerger was coroner.
Marriage licenses were granted in December, 1864, to these couples:
James A. Gilpin and Nancy E. Good; Barnet Leeder and Jemima Sterner; Robert Morrison and Mary J. Hart; A.H. Rose and Sally Anderson; Samuel W. Lindower and Ella Renshler; Frederick Fischer and Christina Ziegler; Benjamin F. Mealey and Anna C. Samler; Eli Spitler and Martha J. Ensminger; John Worst and Mary E. Hugh; James Seeley and J.A. Gribben; Paul Fellers and Elizabeth J. Dreisbach; William M. Morrell and Sarah Haddox; Thomas Callahan and Sarah E. Davis; Leroy Vanscoik and Amanda J. Phillips; S.A. Hockingberger and Sophia Bushong; Levi W. Ralston and Margaret Decker; Andrew Alspach and Mary A. Powell; F.C. Stinegraver and Lucinda Swinehart; Jerome Sovecool and Melissa Grubb; Richard B. Alley and Matilda B. Koons.
Mrs. Fuller said Fred Fischer and Christian Ziegler were her grandparents.