EDITOR’S NOTE — This is another article on Findlay-area history adapted from a series written from 1959 to 1974 by the late R.L. Heminger, publisher and editor of The Courier.
By R.L. HEMINGER
A news dispatch the other day (in 1969) said two new apples had just been created by the New York State Agricultural Experiment Station. It is predicted that within a dozen or more years they will become leaders among apples.
This recalls that a new apple was created and developed by an individual who had much to do with the establishment of the city of Findlay. He was Elnathan Cory, who was one of the three men who bought from the U.S. government the land upon which the city of Findlay now stands.
Mr. Cory’s new apple was called “Cory Red.” He was one of the earliest nurserymen in the state of Ohio. He developed the “Cory Red” apple over a period of years.
Mr. Cory and two other men, Joseph Vance and William Neil, filed the first land entries for what was to become Findlay on July 3, 1821. Mr. Cory was of Knickerbocker stock and was born in Essex County, New Jersey, and came to Ohio around 1795 and settled in Cincinnati. He later moved to adjoining Warren County and started a nursery there. It was there that his new apple was brought into being.
Mr. Cory was only in Findlay briefly. He and Mr. Neil left to Mr. Vance to establish the new town. Mr. Neil was a Columbus man of means who owned all the transportation systems in and out of the capital city at one time. He also established what later became Neil House. A daughter married one of Ohio’s governors.
A son of Mr. Cory, David J. Cory, did come to Findlay and resided here, becoming a prominent citizen. A tall and impressive monument surmounts his grave in Maple Grove Cemetery. He settled in Henry County and became a judge there. In 1848, he moved to Findlay, residing here until his death in 1887.
The new apples in New York state took 20 years to develop, according to dispatches. They have been named Spijon and Jonagold. The former was developed from a mating of Red Spy and Monroe varieties of apples. The latter, Jonagold, was the result of a mating of Golden Delicious and Jonathan apples.
The matings began in the mid-1940s. Spijon is a bright crimson and Jonagold has red striping over a gold background.
An Early Physician
On a recent Saturday (in 1969) appeared pictures of some of Hancock County’s early physicians, together with an account of the contribution of the pioneer medical men to the local community.
Another early physician here, of whom we have been advised by Mrs. Grover C. Wilkins, was Dr. John Jacob Horn, who was here great-grandfather. He was among the first to practice here, having been born in Germany in 1801. He came here as a young member of the medical profession. He conducted a small apothecary shop at the corner of what is now Laquineo Street and North Main Street. His home was on a farm just north of the edge of town.
Mrs. Wilkins, who was Miss Reva Horn, spoke of the fact that five or six of the members of the Horn family, one of the earliest in the local community, were in the newspaper and printing field in this city and the general area, in earlier years. Her father, Harvey S. Horn, worked on early Findlay newspapers and later became editor of the Review, of Forest. Her uncle Rufus Horn was editor of the McComb Herald.
“From our family have come linotype operators, editors, teachers, a minister, artists and also two former Findlay mayors: John Sausser, whose grandmother was Sarah Horn, and Clarence Horn Glassman, whose grandfather was a Horn.”
Another member of the Horn family, George Horn, architect and builder, father of Mrs. Don Hetrick and uncle of Mrs. Wilkins, was connected with the building of the Elks’ Home and County Home, as well as the Lincoln and Washington elementary schools in the 1910-20 decade.