EDITOR’S NOTE: The following is another article on Findlay area history adapted from a series written from 1959 to 1974 by the late R.L. Heminger, publisher and editor of The Courier.
By R.L. HEMINGER
The city of Findlay had 13 elementary school buildings in the 1897-98 year, which has been under review in these columns in the last few weeks.
This was a great change in the local educational system from the greater part of the 1880s, where there were but three elementary buildings within the community. The gas boom, of course, had caused the increase.
But the buildings, in some instances, were not very large. In fact, one school had but a single teacher, while two had but three teachers and four schools only had four teachers. When the boom came, the city was expanded greatly, covering a very large area, developers feeling that the community was going to grow on an extensive scale. This made school buildings essential all over the territory.
Teachers, in many instances, taught more than one grade. In the old Gray building, to cite one case, first and second grades were taught by a single teacher, pupils in the first grade being seated on one side of the room and the second graders sitting on the other side of the room. The teacher rotated between the double classes. Third and fourth grades were handled together, as were the fifth and sixth grades and then the seventh and eighth. The Gray stood where the Lincoln is located today.
The Paxon was the building with a single teacher. This was located on Blanchard Avenue not far from the city limits. All second, third and fourth graders living east of the Huber school district attended the Paxon, the single teacher instructing all three grades. The Paxon building still stands. It is now a residence. The Huber School has become the school administrative headquarters (in 1970).
The list of teachers in the Findlay School System in the 1897-98 year as shown in the manual, which Earl Wall made available to George K. Barrett before Mr. Wall’s death, follows:
HIGH SCHOOL — John F. Smith, principal; M.T.C. Wing, assistant; Carrie E. Glines, Hannah Peterson, Nellie Lovering and Maude Martin.
CENTRAL — Florence Barr, principal; Fannie Meeks, Sallie Gray, Minnie Yost, Florence Willis, Sallie Strickler, Alona Zugschwert, Edith Kagy.
CRAWFORD — D.S. Finton, principal; Ella Bonham, Anna Sweeney, Hattie Metzler, Zoe Codding, Claudie Dwiggins, Millie Fack, Eugenia Sours.
TAYLOR — E.V. Fowler, principal; Chrisa Bails, Mary Patterson, Minerva McKinnis, Grace Lovering, Sadie Blake, Grace Jackson, Aerial Coates.
HUBER — W.S. Neeley, principal; Rosa Weiss, Fannie Huber, Alma Patterson, Clara McKelvy, Alice Alspach, Maude Morrison, Agnes McLure.
HOWARD — J.B. Masters, principal; Cora Morehead, Lulu Brumbaugh, Carrie Bolton, Bertha Bowen, Mabel Stull, Grace Shaw, Fanny Palmer.
STROTHER — D.D. Dukes, principal; Bertha Cooper, Emma Holden, Besse Abbott, Grace Wentz, Gladys Strother, Jessie Winbigler.
GRAY — Margaret Crohen, principal; Jennie Baker, Mary Neuman, Ella Shirley.
BIGELOW — Ida Karg, principal; Dudley Kagy, Clara McCullough, Florence Judd.
McKEE — Theodore Bayless, principal; M. Duncan, Besse Byal, Mamie Lowe.
ADAMS — Carrie Batey, principal; Winifred Ollum, Katie Gayer, Blanche Metzler.
DETWILER — Anna Miller, principal; S.S. Smeltzer, Mabel Willis.
FIRMIN — Emma Simms, principal; Inez Berlin, Elva Cromer.
PAXON — Dora Allen.