Farm Service Agency programs: Farmers being urged to register

WASHINGTON — Farmers who plan to participate in U.S. Department of Agriculture Farm Service Agency programs should register in advance, according to the agency.
Farm records and business structure changes should be reported to the agency’s service center at 7868 Hancock County 140, Suite C, before April 15.
Examples of updates or changes to report include:
• New farmers or farmers who have not reported farm records to the service agency.
• Farmers who have recently bought, sold or rented land. Those producers need to ensure that changes have been reported and properly recorded by the service agency county office personnel. Reports of purchased or sold property should include a copy of the land deed, and if land has been leased, documentation should be provided that indicates the producer had/has control of the acreage.
• Farmers who have changed business structures (such as forming a partnership or limited liability corporation) need to ensure that these relationships and shares are properly recorded with service agency. Even family farms that have records on file may want to ensure that this is recorded accurately as it may impact payment limits.
• Farm records can be updated during business hours at service agency centers. Farmers can contact the service agency center in advance to find out what paperwork they may need. In addition, bank account information should be supplied or updated if necessary to ensure that producers receive payments as quickly as possible through direct deposit.
While any farmer may report farm records and business structure changes, it is especially important for farmers who suffered livestock, livestock grazing, honeybee, farm-raised fish, or tree/vine losses for 2011, 2012, 2013 or 2014, and may be eligible for assistance through one of the four disaster programs.
For more information about disaster programs and the Farm Bill implementation plan, visit the agency online at:



About the Author