By BRIAN BOHNERT
FOR THE COURIER
FOSTORIA — After waiving their right to preliminary hearings on Thursday, two of the three teens charged in last week’s burglary-turned-homicide will have their cases considered by a Seneca County grand jury.
Tyson J. Ogg, 18, who is listed as a transient, and Dallas A. Salaz, 19, Fostoria, waived preliminary hearings in a packed courtroom Thursday afternoon before Judge Mark Repp of the Tiffin-Fostoria Municipal Court.
Ogg and Salaz, along with Garrett N. Brown, 17, whose last listed address is Findlay, are accused of breaking into 218 E. Culbertson St. on May 21 and fatally shooting 20-year-old Janelle Mauricio.
Mauricio’s boyfriend, 19-year-old Caleb Barto, was assaulted by the intruders, police said.
According to court records, the suspects allegedly intended to steal money and illegal drugs from the house.
Ogg and Brown are facing charges of aggravated murder, aggravated burglary and felonious assault. Salaz has been charged with complicity to commit aggravated murder, aggravated burglary and felonious assault.
Fostoria police were on high security Thursday as friends and family of both defendants, as well as Mauricio, filled the seats of the Fostoria courtroom. Officers Chad Marchetto and Brandon Bell used metal-detecting wands to check each person going into the room.
Shackled at his wrists, Ogg was led to the defendant’s chair by Fostoria Police Capt. Patrick Brooks shortly after 1:30 p.m. Ogg, seated next to his attorney, Francis M. Marley Jr., kept his eyes locked on Repp as the judge confirmed that the defendant was indeed waiving his right to a preliminary hearing.
Salaz, joined by his attorney, Jonathan G. Stotzer, also filed for a preliminary hearing waiver. Salaz went before Repp shortly after 2 p.m. Thursday. Throughout much of the brief hearing, Salaz sat very still, often looking down at the wooden table.
City Prosecutor Barb Dibble said both men’s cases are scheduled to go before a grand jury on June 11.
Repp continued the $1.5 million bonds for both suspects.
The three suspects were arrested by Fostoria police last Thursday afternoon after an investigation linked the trio to the crime.
The initial call came via cellphone at 11:26 p.m. May 21. The caller reported a break-in at the Culbertson Street residence and the shooting of his girlfriend.
While officers were responding to the Culbertson Street residence, police learned that ProMedica Fostoria Community Hospital was treating a female with a gunshot wound to the leg. Mauricio died at the hospital.
Barto was treated and released from the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, which Police Chief Keith Loreno said were not from gunshots.
According to court records, Brown allegedly shot Mauricio with a 9 mm handgun, and Salaz allegedly struck Barto “with great force” in the right shoulder and back area, leaving welts and abrasions on his body. Ogg allegedly served as the getaway driver.
Chief Loreno said Mauricio’s death was caused by a single gunshot wound to the leg after the bullet “traveled and tumbled” in a way that hit vital organs.
Teresa Copp, Seneca County Juvenile and Probate Court administrator, said Thursday that no future court appearance has been set for Brown through the Seneca County Prosecutor’s Office. He is currently being held at the Seneca County Youth Center.
Brown, a juvenile, went before Judge Jay Meyer of the Seneca County Juvenile Court for an initial hearing last Friday.