FOSTORIA — Fostoria’s annual summer festival has received a facelift this year.
After 21 years of hosting the Fostoria Glass Heritage Festival, the planning committee decided to reinvent the festival in hopes of appealing to a wider spectrum of the community, according to committee members.
SummerFest, as it is now called, will kick off at 5 p.m. today and continue into Saturday evening.
“Glass isn’t really featured anymore during the festival,” committee member Hannah Nusser said. “We wanted to give it a more general name that reflected a summertime fun kind of festival.”
Nusser said the Glass Heritage Gallery, 109 N. Main St., will still be open and typically receives numerous visitors during the weekend.
In addition to the festival name change, the committee has planned a variety of new activities and games for this year’s festival.
- Inaugural “Raise Your Glass” wine tasting from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. today.
- Beer tent and live musical entertainment from 5 p.m. to midnight today, and from noon to midnight Saturday.
- Kids Corner featuring inflatable bounce activities, a petting zoo and kiddie tractor pulls from 1 p.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday.
- Kids train rides from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. today and noon to 7 p.m. Saturday.
- Little Princess Luncheon from noon to 3 p.m. Saturday.
- Fostoria Community Arts Council Antique & Homemade Craft Show from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday.
- Fostoria Area Historical Society will be open from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. today and noon to 5 p.m. Saturday.
- The grand opening of Foster’s Museum will be from noon to 5 p.m. Saturday.
- Fostoria Farmer’s Market from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday.
For more information on SummerFest events, contact the mayor’s office at 419-435-8282 or visit www.facebook.com/FostoriaSummerfest.