The Courier » Mount Blanchard man enters no contest plea in abduction case

Mount Blanchard man enters no contest plea in abduction case


A Mount Blanchard teenager pleaded no contest Monday to abducting a 17-year-old Wharton boy from a Riverdale High School football game in August.

Brandon M. Bowman, 19, entered the plea in Hancock County Common Pleas Court to an amended charge of abduction, a third-degree felony. He originally faced charges of first-degree felony kidnapping, and felonious assault, a second-degree felony.

Through plea negotiations, the felonious assault charge was dismissed and the kidnapping charge was amended.

Bowman could face up to 36 months in prison. A presentence investigation was ordered and he will be sentenced April 28.

The county prosecutor’s office agreed to make no sentencing recommendation if he testifies against his co-defendant, Luke Bowman.

On Monday, Assistant Prosecutor Elizabeth Smith reviewed a summary of evidence that would have been presented at Brandon Bowman’s trial.

On Aug. 28 at a Riverdale High School football game, both Brandon Bowman and Luke Bowman, who are not immediate family members, approached the victim and asked if he would like to see Luke Bowman’s new truck, Smith said.

“The three headed to the parking lot, behind where the school buses are located, and that’s when Luke Bowman punched (the victim) in the eye, causing (him) to lose his sight and fall to the ground,” Smith said.

The victim was reportedly struck multiple times and had an orbital wall fracture, among other injuries, according to Smith.

The teenagers suspected that the Wharton boy was responsible for stealing a gun during a break-in at the house of Luke Bowman’s grandmother, Smith said.

The victim was unable to stand due to his injuries, so Brandon Bowman reportedly carried him to the truck, Smith said.

“(The victim) was fearful for his life and told Luke Bowman and Brandon Bowman that the gun was at his friend’s house in Carey,” Smith said.

The victim was placed in the back of the truck and they drove to Carey, Smith said. While in the vehicle, Brandon Bowman reportedly told the victim “that he would kill him if he tried anything,” Smith reported.

The gun was not located in Carey.

“Eventually, Luke Bowman stopped the truck and (the victim) was dropped off about a mile and a half from his home,” Smith said.

The defense had no comment at Monday’s hearing.

“We’re standing strictly on no contest, your honor,” said Brandon Bowman’s attorney, Robert Gryzbowski.

A jury trial is scheduled for Luke Bowman on April 11, according to court records.

The victim was not present in court on Monday, but will have an opportunity to make a statement at the sentencing hearing for Brandon Bowman.

Brandon Bowman was ordered to have no contact with Luke Bowman or the victim.

Reamer: 419-427-8497
Send an E-mail to Allison Reamer
Twitter: @CourierAllison


About the Author