By LOU WILIN
Besides the widening and upgrade of Interstate 75, the state will be spending $3.4 million this year for improvements to bridges and roads in Findlay and Hancock County.
The state will use $1.1 million of those funds to replace the driving surfaces of bridges on Ohio 12 west of Findlay and on U.S. 68 at Findlay’s southern edge.
A bridge over Eagle Creek, on the southbound exit ramp from U.S. 68-Ohio 15 to U.S. 68, will be closed from mid-May to mid-July for the work, said Mike Murphy, area engineer for the Ohio Department of Transportation.
A bridge on Ohio 12 over Moffitt Ditch, one mile west of Benton Ridge, will be closed from mid-April to mid-June for work.
Another bridge on Ohio 12, over Ottawa Creek, a half-mile east of Benton Ridge, will be closed for two months beginning in July for improvements.
A culvert under U.S. 224, one-third mile west of Ohio 235, will be replaced for $236,176. Work is scheduled to start July 4 and be completed by Aug. 31. That section of road will be closed for about 30 days.
The state also will be paying $753,000 to resurface parts of state highways in Findlay from May to August:
- U.S. 224 (Trenton Avenue) from Broad Avenue to Main Street.
- Ohio 12 (West Main Cross Street) from I-75 to Main Street.
- The stretch of Ohio 37 on Blanchard Street from Lincoln Street to Blanchard Avenue.
- Ohio 568 from Main Street to Beech Avenue.
None of these streets will be closed for resurfacing, Murphy said.
In addition, cable rail barrier will be installed in the median of U.S. 68-Ohio 15 from I-75 to Main Street in Findlay. Work is expected to start in May and be finished by the end of September for $333,825.
Besides the construction-related improvements, the state will do a variety of maintenance work, totaling $698,500, on highways in Hancock County:
- Ohio 103 from I-75 to Ohio 235: Culverts will be replaced in three locations this summer, resulting in a five-day road closing.
- Ohio 103 from Bluffton to Ohio 698. The road’s shoulder will be replaced in June.
- Ohio 103 from Bluffton to Arlington: Pavement will be repaired in June.
- Ohio 37 at Jackson Township 168: A culvert will be replaced this summer, resulting in a five-day road closing.
- Ohio 12 from Arcadia to Fostoria: Culverts will be replaced in three locations this summer, resulting in a five-day road closing.
- Ohio 235 from Hardin County to Wood County: The road’s shoulder will be replaced in June.
- Ohio 235 from Hancock County 313 to the Wood County line: Pavement will be repaired this fall.
- I-75 from Bluffton to Ohio 235: Pavement will be repaired in June.
- Ohio 613-Ohio 18 from Van Buren to Fostoria: The road will be sealed in July.
- U.S. 224 from the Putnam County line to Ohio 235: Pavement will be repaired this fall.
- Ohio 568 from Findlay to the Wyandot County line: Pavement will be repaired this fall.
Send an E-mail to Lou Wilin