More details emerge about city murder

NO ARRESTS had been made by Monday afternoon in the murder of a Findlay man, Jeffery L. Gary, 56, who was shot to death early Sunday at this mobile home at 1316 Fox St. Gary’s homicide was the second in Hancock County in the past week, and the fourth since Nov. 25. None of the murders has been solved. (Photo by Randy Roberts)

By J. STEVEN DILLON

Findlay police are continuing to investigate the murder of a city man who was shot to death early Sunday at his Fox Street home.

Following an autopsy Monday in Lucas County, the death of Jeffery L. Gary, 56, was ruled a homicide, the result of two gunshot wounds.

Gary, who was known by the nickname “Doughboy,” was pronounced dead at 1316 Fox St., where officers responded to a 911 call just before 1 a.m. Sunday.

Police Lt. Robert Ring on Monday said police have interviewed the person who called 911, and several other people, but had made no arrests by Monday afternoon.

The suspected shooter, or shooters, left the residence and the area before officers arrived.

They were last seen running south on Fox Street, which is located a block east of Findlay High School.

Ring said police are still trying to piece together what happened, and haven’t ruled out robbery or drug activity as possible motives.

Police believe there are at least two male suspects. The suspects wore masks or scarves which hid their faces and concealed their identity.

Police had become familiar with Gary over the years.

He had 36 traffic and criminal charges filed against him in Findlay Municipal Court between 1986 and 2015.

In common pleas court, he was convicted of receiving stolen property in 1991 and trafficking in marijuana in 1998.

There was an earlier shooting incident involving Gary, too.

Police responded to Gary’s previous residence at 222 Prospect Ave. in December 2013 when a shooting occurred there during a robbery involving drugs and money.

Two men were charged with aggravated robbery and felonious assault after one of them shot another man at the residence. Gary was not shot during that incident.

Both the shooter, who got 11 years in prison, and an accomplice, who got seven years, are still in prison.

Gary’s homicide was the second in Hancock County in the past week, and the fourth since Nov. 25. None of the murders has been solved.

On Feb. 4, a man walking along Cass Township 215, between Hancock County 18 and Hancock County 236, discovered a body wrapped in plastic bags in a ditch.

The remains were identified as Danielle N. Rice, 28, of Findlay, who had been reported missing earlier that day.

Rice’s death has been ruled a homicide but the cause of death has not released by the Hancock County Sheriff’s Office, which is investigating.

Findlay police, meanwhile, are continuing to investigate two other deaths, the Nov. 25 murder of Brian A. McQuistion, 42, who was shot in the head in his apartment at 231 E. Foulke Ave., and a Dec. 16 assault outside the Walnut Saloon that led to the death of Gregory Hammer, 53, of Findlay, on Dec. 31.

In all, Findlay recorded three homicides in 2017.

In the first, Marcus Alexander, 31, of Toledo, was shot and killed Feb. 17 during a bungled robbery at the Econo Lodge motel on Emma Street, just west of Interstate 75.

The shooter, Husam H. Coleman of Chicago, was sentenced to five years in prison in November after pleading guilty to a voluntary manslaughter charge.

Jessica L. Kisseberth, 27, of Leipsic, and Joseph V. Fleming, 27, of Toledo, are also charged in connection with Alexander’s death, and their cases are pending.

Authorities have alleged that Kisseberth and Fleming were involved in a plot, with Alexander, to rob Coleman. Alexander was shot three times by Coleman.

Dillon: 419-427-8423
Send an E-mail to Steve Dillon



Comments

About the Author