The Courier » Area College Sports Roundup: BU names Krepps football coach

Area College Sports Roundup: BU names Krepps football coach

BLUFFTON — Bluffton University has named Aaron Krepps as its new head football coach.

He replaces Denny Dorrel who resigned after four seasons to become the athletics director at Franklin County High School, his alma mater, in Brookville, Indiana.

Krepps previously served as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach for the Beavers. He takes over following Bluffton’s best four-year stretch (23-17 overall, 20-12 Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference) since joining the HCAC in 1998.

Coach Krepps joined the Beavers last year after two seasons as an assistant at Ohio Northern University where he coached the receivers and was special teams coordinator for the Polar Bears. Prior to his time at ONU, he was the running backs coach at Alderson Broaddus University in West Virginia, and held coaching positions at Adrian College (Michigan), Belle Vernon (Pennsylvania) High School and as a graduate assistant at Eastern Michigan University.

Krepps was a two-time All-America wide receiver and an honorable mention All-America kick returner at Washington & Jefferson College.

Garbig, Richards honored
ADA — Ohio Northern seniors Chris Garbig and Emily Richards were named Ohio Northern’s Clyde Lamb Award winners for 2017-18.

The prestigious Clyde A. Lamb Scholar-Athlete Award is the highest honor given in the Ohio Athletic Conference each year and is presented annually to a single male and a single female from each of the league’s 10 schools.

Criteria for the award include at least two years of participation in an OAC sponsored sport, senior status, a minimum grade point average of 3.00 and sportsmanlike conduct in a manner that has brought credit to the student-athlete and his or her institution.

Garbig, a midfielder on the ONU men’s soccer team majoring in accounting, was a academic All-American as a last fall and was a United Soccer Coaches Association Scholar All-America as a junior. He was also a three-time academic all-OAC honoree and was named first team all-conference twice.

Richards is a national-level middle distance runner and is majoring in chemistry.

She is a 7-time NCAA Division III Champion, an 11-time all-American and an academic All-American on the ONU cross country and track and field teams.

Richards is a four-time NCAA Champion in the 800-meter run, has won the mile indoors twice and the 2017 outdoor title in the 1,500.

She also earned All-America honors in cross country by finishing ninth at this season’s NCAA Division III Cross Country Championships.

Richards has won 24 OAC titles, was named the OAC Distance Runner of the Year five times and the OAC Sprinter of the Year once. She is also a two-time all-conference honoree in the javelin.

Last summer, she finished eighth in the 800 in a field of 32 professionals and NCAA Division I athletes at the United States Track and Field Championships in Sacramento, Calif.

On campus, she is involved in the Northern Review school newspaper, the Society for Collegiate Journalists and as an undergrad researcher in environmental chemistry.

Wilcox nets Ashland award
Ada graduate Matthew Wilcox has been named Ashland University’s co-men’s athlete of the year as voted on by the school’s faculty and athletic committee.

As a senior, Wilcox, despite a late-season injury, led Ashland’s football team in 2017 with 707 receiving yards, and was second on the team in both receptions (37) and receiving touchdowns (five). Off the field, Wilcox earned second-team Division II CoSIDA Academic All-American and first-team all-Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference honors.

Also in 2017, Wilcox became the second AU football player to be named the recipient of the GLIAC’s Jack H. McAvoy Award, presented annually to the GLIAC football player who best combines outstanding character and leadership on the field, in the classroom, and in the community.

Wilcox graduated with a cumulative GPA of 3.78 as an Exercise Science major.

All-OAC tennis
ADA — Ohio Northern senior Lynn Kelly, junior Ashley Ochsenhirt and freshman Sabine Worthoff were named all-Ohio Athletic Conference in women’s tennis for the 2018 season in voting conducted by the league’s nine head coaches.

Kelly and Ochsenhirt were first team honorees and Worthoff named to the second team.

Kelly is the seventh Polar Bear to be named all-conference in women’s tennis four times. She was a first team pick the past three seasons and a second team selection as a freshman in 2015.

The Polar Bears finished the season 19-7 overall, were second in the OAC with a 7-1 regular-season record and reached the finals of the OAC tournament under 18th-year head coach Scott Wills.

UF athletes all-region
Seven University of Findlay athletes earned a spot on the United States Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association Division II Midwest Outdoor All-Region list.

Senior thrower Alex DeVincentis (Liberty-Benton), senior hurdler Milani Glass, junior thrower Hannah Hahler, and sophomore sprinter Semoy Hemmings all earned the honor on the women’s side while senior decathlete Trey Everett, senior sprinter George Effah, and sophomore long jumper Martin Etsey were named all-region for UF’s men’s team.

ONU women win trophy
ADA — Ohio Northern won the Ohio Athletic Conference Women’s All-Sports Trophy for the 2017-18 season.

This marks the third consecutive title and the 12th crown overall for the Polar Bear women’s teams.

ONU edged Otterbein 801/2-781/2 on the strength of OAC titles in volleyball, soccer, basketball, outdoor track and field and softball.

Northern also finished second in tennis and indoor track and field.

In all, ONU posted upper-division finishes in nine of the 11 OAC sponsored sports in 2017-18.

The Ohio Northern men finished second out of the 10-team league with 833/4 points in the 12 OAC sports.

The Polar Bears captured Conference titles in cross country lacrosse and runner-up finishes in football and swimming and diving.

Ohio Northern’s men’s teams finished fourth or better in all 12 sports sponsored by the OAC this season.

All-HCAC baseball
Bluffton University’s Jacob Latofsky highlighted the team’s all-conference selection by being named Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference Freshman of the Year on Tuesday.

The Beavers (21-18) most recently earned their first-ever HCAC tournament berth.

Latofsky, who hit .319 with 19 RBIs, also earned a first-team selection with classmate Garrett O’Reilly (.306 BA).

Dante D’Andrea (3.05 ERA) landed on the second team while Colin Gregory (.356 BA) was an honorable mention pick.

Bluffton senior Ryan Golden (Findlay High) also was selected on the All-HCAC Sportsmanship Team.

Comments

About the Author