EVENDALE, Ohio (AP) — A fire chief says explosions and a fire at a southwest Ohio grain silo began with a spark in a vacuum that pulls dust off the grain.
The fire Friday caused heavy damage at the large Bunge (BUNG’-ee) North America facility in the village of Evendale. No injuries were reported.
The Cincinnati Enquirer ( ) reports firefighters remained at the site this weekend, checking for hot spots. The structures that needed checked included one where the fire sparked, which is as tall as a 22-story building.
Evendale’s fire chief says the system that runs water through the facility in case of a fire wasn’t working.
A spokeswoman at Bunge North America headquarters in St. Louis has said the agribusiness and food ingredients company is working with the fire department.
Information from: The Cincinnati Enquirer,