On May 8, Terry Cook wrote: “I defy Withrow, or anyone, or any group, to challenge me about anything I have stated in letters to the editor …”
I’m no expert, The Courier limits my space and life limits my time. But I hope this helps, Terry.
Your April 12 letter referenced Dr. Jeffrey Hergenrather as “head research professor from Harvard Medical.” Search Google and Harvard’s websites. You won’t find any connection with Harvard Medical School.
But a Brown Alumni site proudly reports their graduate began practicing medicine in a commune in Tennessee. Sorry.
In January, you proclaimed “Marijuana is not only the most nutritional of all foods, it does not stupefy or poison.” On April 25, you wrote of Sanjay Gupta changing his mind about pot (on a March CNN show). Maybe you missed the subsequent April 16 CNN report on research in the Journal of Neuroscience, “the first to link casual marijuana use to major changes in the brain … the degree of abnormalities is based on the number of joints you smoke in a week.” Touché.
Space prevents recounting my firsthand experience with a man so stupefied he couldn’t sign his own name.
But you signed your letter to Ohio’s governor: “Ex-Marine … three months a prisoner of war.” If memory serves, a few dozen letters ago you acknowledged you were actually in U.S. military confinement in Vietnam. Checkmate.
Nobody cares that you downplay your military problems, unless it just another exchange of euphemism for fact, or legend for reality, in a long series of partial truths and careless statements promoting a magic elixir to nearly all of man’s problems, and dismissing its downside, which legitimate, stone-sober-researchers have concluded to be a brain-altering substance.
Fifty years ago, it was cigarette smokers who were in denial.
There may be many beneficial uses for the plant consuming your life. But those uses might find broader support if promoters had more credible voices, used less deceptive tactics, dropped the careless use of superlatives and exaggerations, and didn’t have a questionable history of illicit use.
Brooklyn Park, Minnesota
MOST JUST WANT HONEST ELECTIONS
How does more stringent voting rules make it harder for young people, people of color, low-income people, the disabled and older Americans to vote?
Perhaps Don Iliff (letter, May 12) would prefer to return to busing voters in from other states?
In what way are these “new” laws designed to reduce participation by minorities, the poor and other groups that tend to vote Democrat?
Perhaps Mr. Iliff is referring to the illegal immigrants who are so thankful to the Democrats that they will make their little “X” in favor of a Democrat.
There are more reasons for tighter voting laws than not. Legal, honest, law-abiding people prefer whatever will keep election time honest.
Pre-registration and picture IDs will help. Fewer days allowed for voting. If a person cannot for whatever reason vote on the scheduled days within the scheduled hours, well, doggone! He can vote absentee! See?
All the bases are covered, except for one. How do we get honest people to count the votes? Too often, we have “the fox guarding the henhouse” when the votes are counted.
This past election, only about 20 percent of the eligible voters got off their duffs and voted. Does that mean that the other 80 percent are young, old, disabled, poor, members of minorities, and of different color?
I think one reason that people refrain from voting is because too often they have been “stabbed in the back” by politicians who promise one thing and do something else when elected.
The other reason is they are just too lazy to make the effort.
If the right to vote should be taken away from us, what would the non-voters say then? Or, would they even notice?
Barbara J. Rice
LETTERS REMINDED HIM TO ENJOY LIFE
It’s great to know that the people at The Courier have such a great sense of humor when they print the letters to the editor.
They blessed the reading public with not only a Jim Brant letter on Tuesday, but also Terry Cook and Don Iliff letters back-to-back on Wednesday! That sure is a lot of bitterness and cynicism in a two-day period!
Thanks for reminding me that I am not as miserable as other people and that life is to be enjoyed and not just endured.
Bruce Haynes Findlay
TEACHING KIDS TO RESPECT VETS
On behalf of the veterans of Hancock County and the Veterans Council, I want to thank the 35-40 people who helped place about 5,000 flags on the graves of deceased veterans in Maple Grove Cemetery last Saturday.
It was rewarding for all the vets who were present to see the children who attended with their parents or grandparents and to witness those adults teaching their children respect for our vets and the meaning of Memorial Day. We hope to see you all again at 8 a.m., July 12, for the de-flagging.
president, Hancock County Veterans Council