Iran says has no plans to substitute UN envoy pick

Comment: Off

White House press secretary Jay Carney speaks to reporters at the daily press briefing, Friday, April 11, 2014, at the White House in Washington. Carney opened the briefing by taking a question regarding the replacement for outgoing Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius. (AP Photo/Charles Dharapak)

White House press secretary Jay Carney speaks to reporters at the daily press briefing, Friday, April 11, 2014, at the White House in Washington. Carney opened the briefing by taking a question regarding the replacement for outgoing Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius. (AP Photo/Charles Dharapak)

Buy AP Photo Reprints

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — Iran says it has no plans to name a new diplomat to the United Nations after the United States blocked the man Tehran chose.

Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi is quoted by the semiofficial Mehr news agency as saying Saturday that the Islamic Republic instead seeks to challenge the U.S. decision through legal channels.

The U.S. blocked Iran’s pick because it alleges Hamid Aboutalebi took part in the 1979 takeover of the U.S. Embassy in Tehran, in which 52 Americans were held hostage for 444 days.

Aboutalebi says he was only a translator when militant students stormed the Embassy. Iran says he is one of the country’s best diplomats, and that he previously received a U.S. visa. He has already served at Iranian diplomatic missions in Australia, Belgium and Italy.

Associated Press

Comments

comments

About the Author