A domestic violence case, pending for the past year against a former Findlay Police Department supervisor, has been dismissed in municipal court.

In an entry signed last month, visiting Judge S. Dwight Osterud dropped the first-degree misdemeanor offense against Sean D. Young.

Osterud, a retired municipal judge from Perrysburg, found Young had complied with all conditions of a diversion program Young had been allowed to enter last year.

Young had pleaded guilty to the charge in June with the understanding it would be dismissed if he completed a 6-month Batterers Intervention Program and put in 70 hours of community service at the Salvation Army.

Had he failed to complete the program, he could have been fined up to $1,000 and ordered to serve up to six months in jail.

Young, 46, was the acting police chief and among those being considered for promotion to chief when he was charged in connection with an off-duty Feb. 4, 2017 domestic incident at his rural Bluffton home.

According to records, Young threw a video camera at his wife, Toni, after he had trouble operating it during a birthday party for their daughter. The camera struck Toni in the head, causing injuries that required medical treatment.

Toni Young later obtained a civil protection order against her husband.
Young had been initially placed on administrative leave but was fired in September following an independent investigation of the incident by the Toledo Police Department.

He had joined the Findlays auxiliary force in 1993 and became a full-time officer in 1996.

Mayor Lydia Mihalik has said the outside review found Young committed a willful violation of domestic violence and other administrative violations

During the outside investigation, Young admitted his guilt to the domestic violence offense on several occasions during interviews, and admitted that he intentionally and deliberately threw the camera at his wife in an attempt to harm her.

Young committed administrative violations, the report found, when he was not completely accurate and truthful about all details concerning the incident, and did not initially accept responsibility for his actions.
Young has refused comment on the case.

Lt. John Dunbar replaced Young as interim chief in February 2017, and was sworn in as chief in June.