Joseph V. Fleming IV, 28, of Toledo, was sentenced Wednesday to six years in prison for his role in the February 2017 fatal shooting of Marcus Alexander at a Findlay motel.
Judge Reginald Routson of the Hancock County Common Pleas Court also placed Fleming on post-release control for another five years after his sentence is served.
Fleming is the last of three people to be sentenced for their part in the fatal shooting that night.
Alexander, 31, of Toledo, was shot to death at the Econo Lodge on Emma Street during a robbery attempt. Alexander, Fleming and Jessica Kisseberth, 27, of Leipsic, were involved in the planned robbery of Husam H. Coleman, 38, of Chicago, who fatally shot Alexander during the robbery.
During Wednesdays sentencing hearing, Fleming told Routson that he had gained skills in prison to be a leader and say no to potential problems.
I can stand up for myself today, Fleming said. I wont get myself involved again.
He apologized to the court, to Alexanders mother and to Coleman.
Flemings defense lawyer, John W. McMahon, argued Fleming had less involvement in the case than Coleman, who was sentenced to five years in prison in November 2017, after pleading guilty to involuntary manslaughter, a first-degree felony.
Routson rejected the argument during sentencing, saying he believed Fleming knew about the robbery before he got in a car with Alexander and Kisseberth headed for Findlay.
I do believe you were a culpable and willing participant in this, Routson told Fleming.
Fleming pleaded guilty on April 11 to aggravated robbery, a first-degree felony, after a plea deal was reached. As part of the deal, Fleming gave prosecutors a statement to use against Kisseberth, and the murder charge against Fleming was dropped.
Kisseberth was sentenced to 11 years in prison for involuntary manslaughter and aggravated burglary, both first-degree felonies, in May. She was originally charged with murder.
Findlay police were sent to the Emma Street motel around 1 a.m. Feb. 17, 2017 after reports of gunshot. Alexander was found on a second-floor balcony and died at the scene. Coleman was taken into custody a short time later after being found at a Findlay apartment.
Alexanders autopsy indicated he was shot three times.