BLUFFTON — “A Universe of Stories” opened up to readers of all ages Monday as Bluffton Public Library kicked off its Summer Reading Program.
The summer reading challenge runs through July 26, offering prizes for pre-K readers through adults based on the number of pages they read. Special events are planned throughout the summer, and the program will culminate in a library pool party on July 29 at the Bluffton Swimming Pool.
Registration for the summer reading program remains open for those who couldn’t make it to Monday’s kick off.
Additional June activities include:
• June 13, 18 and 25, 1 p.m.: Cake and cards for teens and tweens, with participants playing Exploding Kittens, Dutch Blitz and Monopoly Deal while enjoying cupcakes. Registration required.
• June 14, 10 a.m.: Adults and teens can make galaxy bleach T-shirts. Those attending must bring a black or navy cotton T-shirt. Registration required.
• June 17, 6 p.m.: A village storywalk with author, historian and Bluffton Icon owner Fred Steiner will feature the history of structures along Main Street. Registration required. • June 19, 6 p.m.: Dan Hodges, a naturalist for the Johnny Appleseed Metropolitan Park District, will present “Dragonflies & Damselflies.” Participants will learn about these insects, what bugs can be found in the backyard and how to participate in a statewide survey. Register by June 13.
• June 22, 9 a.m.: The Friends of the Bluffton Public Library will hold its sixth annual 5K Run/Walk for Literacy, co-hosted by Shirley’s Gourmet Popcorn Co. Registration begins at 8 a.m. at the library, with the race starting at 9 in front of Bluffton High School. Registration is $20 until June 19, and $25 on race day. Children ages 10 and younger are free. Proceeds benefit the library. Register at www.blufftonpubliclibrary.org, on Facebook or at the library.
• June 25, 6 p.m.: Paws & Craft, during which participants 8 and older will make a craft for their pet or to donate to an animal shelter. All materials are provided. Registration required.
• June 26, 10 a.m.: Internet safety program for kids in kindergarten through fifth grade.
• June 26, 6 p.m.: Jeanne Beutler will teach a watercolor class in which participants paint an evening scene titled “A Universe.” The $10 fee includes all supplies. Registration required.
• June 27, 10 a.m.: Internet safety program for students in sixth through 12th grades.
• June 27, 1 p.m.: Teens will make bath bombs. Registration with any allergy concerns required.
• June 28, 9:30-11:30 a.m.: Ohio Northern University’s Healthwise mobile clinic will offer free screenings for blood pressure, blood sugar, osteoporosis and cholesterol. Fasting for 12 hours is required to participate in the cholesterol and blood sugar screenings.
Call the library at 419-358-5016 to register for any program requiring it. A full list of June programs is at blufftonpubliclibrary.org.