By ERIC SCHAADT
STAFF WRITER

A stove fire forced a family of four from their dwelling at Melrose Village Apartments at 5:15 a.m. Wednesday.

The smoky fire at 2201 Jennifer Lane, Apt. 8, was out when firefighters arrived, the Findlay Fire Department reported. The names of the occupants were not immediately available.

The cooking fire damaged a vent hood, cabinet and ceiling of the apartment, while smoke damage was reported throughout the apartment, authorities said.

No injuries were reported, according to the Fire Department.

Damage was estimated at $1,000 to the structure and $150 to contents, the department reported.
Firefighters left the scene at 5:49 a.m. Wednesday.

The American Red Cross provided assistance to the family of four with emergency shelter and immediate needs such as clothing, food, and comfort kits with personal hygiene items.

“As we continue to help them, we urge everyone to take steps to minimize the risk of a fire occurring in their home,” said Todd James, executive director of the Red Cross chapter.

The Red Cross suggests that all households should install smoke alarms and develop a fire evacuation plan.

Residents should have two ways to exit each room during a fire, and should consider escape ladders, while selecting a place outside for everyone to meet following a fire.

Donations to the Red Cross can be made by contacting Red Cross Disaster Relief by visiting redcross.org, calling 1-800-RED CROSS, or texting the word REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation.

Donations to Disaster Relief are used to prepare for, respond to and help people recover from disasters, big and small.

Schaadt: 419-427-8414
Send an E-mail to Eric Schaadt

Comments