By KATHRYNE RUBRIGHT
Allen County voters rejected a sales tax Tuesday that would have allowed for courthouse renovations and other upgrades.
The additional 10-year, 0.20 percent sales tax failed by 8,152 (51.6 percent) votes to 7,636 (48.4 percent).
It would have generated about $3.5 million annually. Improvements would have included adding courtrooms and hearing rooms to the courthouse, moving non-court-related offices elsewhere, building a new juvenile detention facility, and giving the county engineer’s office a bigger garage and new office space.
All results are unofficial and include absentee ballots.
Terri Kohlrieser prevailed over Lawrence Huffman, 7,613 votes to 3,944, in the Republican primary for Allen County Common Pleas Court judge. Both candidates are from Lima.
No Democrats filed for the post.
Other Allen County candidates were unopposed Tuesday.
Precinct C in Bluffton gave permission for beer, wine and mixed beverage sales by Timber and Vine LLC, doing business as Board & Brush Creative Studio at 121 S. Main St.
Weekday sales passed by 145 votes to 46 votes. Sunday sales were approved 130 votes to 61.
State issue, races
Here’s how Allen County voted on the statewide issue and races:
- State Issue 1, establishing a new process for congressional redistricting: 10,988 yes; 4,427 no.
- Republican governor: Mike DeWine, 7,033; Mary Taylor, 4,414.
- Democratic governor: Richard Cordray, 2,324; Larry Ealy, 75; Dennis Kucinich, 608; Bill O’Neill, 156; Paul Ray, 82; Joe Schiavoni, 169.
- Republican state treasurer: Sandra O’Brien, 5,268; Robert Sprague, 5,080.
- Republican U.S. Senate: Melissa Ackison, 2,266; Don Elijah Eckhart, 510; Mike Gibbons, 3,101; Dan Kiley, 644; Jim Renacci, 3,836.
Other statewide candidates were unopposed in Tuesday’s primary election.