By JIM MAURER
STAFF WRITER

CAREY — Carey Council approved an emergency ordinance to award Hohenbrink Excavating, Findlay, the contract to resurface Memorial Park Boulevard this year. The action was taken during council’s regular meeting Monday.

The company’s bid of about $142,202 was the lowest of four received for the project, estimated at $150,000. Other bids were: Park Enterprises, Marion, $208,796; JDR Excavating, Findlay, $163,140; and B Hill’z, Wayne, $156,640.

The work is the village’s commitment to the school district’s Safe Routes to School grant, previously approved by the state. The grant will provide about $306,000 for sidewalks and other improvements near the school. A sidewalk will be installed along the park road so pedestrians aren’t walking in the road.

Separately, council approved an emergency ordinance which renews the village’s commitment with the state Department of Transportation for replacement of the Ogg Street bridge next year. The project was estimated at $380,000, and the village agreed to pay $90,300. A portion of the bridge remains closed to traffic until replacement is done.

Also, council received a $5.4 million estimate for replacement of three storm water culverts, to help relieve flooding in the downtown area. Council took no action, but discussed possibly breaking the project into several parts.

Spring Grove Cemetery cleanup will be done March 29. Items should be removed from gravesites or they will be discarded by workers.

In another cemetery-related issue, council was told rates for foundation installation and related costs at graves have to be raised because of increased cost for concrete and labor. The minimum charge of $350 will be increased to $385 because the village is losing money at the existing rate.

As a result, legislation will be prepared to give Administrator Roy Johnson authority to implement rate hikes “as necessary,” following review with Brian Spencer, public works supervisor.

After about a 50-minute discussion, council took no action to oppose Sunny Farms Landfill’s effort to get a license renewal because the company which owns the 510-acre landfill is taking corrective action.

Ben Nutter, regional sales manager for Tunnel Hills Partners, provided an update on efforts to reduce odors generated by train car loads of construction and demolition debris brought from the East Coast.

7,500 tons per day are allowed and the landfill accepts waste six days most weeks, with a seventh day allowed by its permit.

In the wake of numerous citations from the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency, the landfill late last month was told that the Seneca County Board of Health intends to deny renewal of its license.

The company plans to appeal the decision.

Following the appeal, the health board will vote whether to deny the license or to renew it with conditions.

Representatives from the Greater Fostoria Environmental group, which opposes the license renewal because of the long-standing stench from the site, urged council to pass legislation in opposition to the company’s efforts. They said townships and communities in the area have done so.

Maurer: 419-427-8420
Send an E-mail to Jim Maurer

Comments