DEVIN KERR LOOKS to his attorney during his sentencing hearing Monday in Hancock County Common Pleas Court. The Bowling Green teenager was sentenced to seven years in prison for holding a Hancock County woman at gunpoint and taking her car last year. (Photo by Randy Roberts)

Staff Writer

Another of the teenagers who broke into a Pleasant Township woman’s home in December has been sentenced to seven years in prison for kidnapping and receiving stolen property.

Devin A. Kerr, 19, of Bowling Green, pleaded guilty and was sentenced Monday by Hancock County Common Pleas Judge Reginald Routson.

Kerr was part of a group that held Phyllis Hall at gunpoint and took her car from her Deshler area home in December.

“You probably don’t know how it feels to have a gun pointed at you, when you can see the laser light on your clothes,” Hall said Monday in court. “I hope you never have to feel that way. It’s a horrible, horrible feeling” that isn’t quickly forgotten.

Kerr apologized to Hall for the “very traumatizing” crime he was part of.

Kerr was “dumb enough to go along with” a plan hatched by one of the other defendants, his attorney Todd Workman said.

Workman said they didn’t expect Hall to be home, but she disputed that in her statement, saying there were lights on in her home.

“I know somebody knew I was there. And yet you proceeded in. So I don’t have any sympathy for that. But I have understanding and hope for you still,” she said.

The kidnapping charge, a first-degree felony, came with a firearm specification. The specification carries a mandatory three-year sentence in addition to the four years Routson imposed for the underlying kidnapping charge.

Kerr also was sentenced to 11 months in prison on the fourth-degree felony charge of receiving stolen property. This term will be served concurrently.

A charge of aggravated burglary, a first-degree felony, was dismissed.

Kerr has 153 days of credit for time served in jail and will continue to earn credit until he is taken to prison.

Workman and assistant prosecutor Lora Manon jointly recommended the sentence, and it is the same one received by Rodney D. Williams Jr., 18, of Findlay, who was sentenced in April.

The sentence is similar to that of Deven L. Blythe, 19, of Findlay, whose 11-month penalty for receiving stolen property will be served consecutively rather than concurrently.

Hunter J. Kelbley, 19, of Upper Sandusky, who did not enter the home, was sentenced in March to a total of four years in prison for aggravated burglary with a firearm specification and receiving stolen property.

Alexandra J. Ayala, 18, of Dunkirk, has pleaded guilty to aggravated burglary with a mandatory one-year specification and receiving stolen property. She also stayed outside.

Ayala will be sentenced in June.

The five of them must together pay a total of $1,721 in restitution.

Rubright: 419-427-8417
Send an E-mail to kathrynerubright
Twitter: @kerubright