MOUNT BLANCHARD — Riverdale students were released early on Monday after a “small grease fire” in the home economics classroom, the Hancock County Sheriff’s Office reported.

According to the sheriff’s office, which responded at 11:09 a.m., the fire started in a pan on an oven. It was extinguished by the teacher, who sustained “minor burns” and was looked at by Jackson-Forest EMS personnel. There were no other injuries.

The building was evacuated, and students were sent home due to the smoke that remained inside, according to the school district’s website. Students were later allowed back in to retrieve items from their lockers, and after-school activities were expected to proceed normally, aside from the cancellation of junior high football practice.

The Delaware Township and Jackson-Forest fire departments also assisted at the scene.

Comments