BENTON RIDGE — Fire destroyed a barn in Benton Ridge at about 7:52 p.m. Thursday evening.

Blanchard Township Volunteer Fire Department Chief Dave Lucas said it took about 25 minutes to subdue the blaze.

The barn, located at 201 S. East St., was destroyed. It is listed by the Hancock County Auditor as being owned by Debra Felkner, and is insured.

Lucas said 12 firefighters from Blanchard Township, along with 10 from Liberty Township and McComb volunteer fire departments, responded to the call.

There were no injuries and no damage to other structures.

An electrical short in a heat lamp being used to keep three dogs warm in the barn may have caused the fire, Lucas said. However, the fire remains under investigation.

The dogs were not injured.

Comments