In a joint news conference between President Obama and Swedish Prime Minister Reinfeldt in September 2013, the question of climate change surfaced and the response was eye-opening.
Prime Minister Reinfeldt told the press in attendance that when he and President Obama attended the Copenhagen conference on climate change in 2009, the United States was ahead of China in carbon emissions, but in the four years since, China’s carbon emissions had doubled.
The prime minister also told the press that the U.S. and the European Economic Union accounted for 25 percent of the world’s carbon emissions, and it was time for the remaining 75 percent of the emerging nations to pick up the pace of lowering their own carbon emissions.
On Dec. 12, 2013, CNN reported smog in Beijing was so bad and such a regular occurrence that the country’s civil aviation authority will require the pilots of even small commercial airlines to be able to perform “blind landings” because of the poor visibility.
On Jan. 20, 2014, a report was released by Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, stating that air pollution from China is blowing across the Pacific Ocean to the U.S. West Coast and causing at least one extra day of smog each year, according to a new study.
The most alarming news from the study: The pollution that reaches the West Coast is largely a byproduct of production of consumer goods for the U.S. and Europe. A quote from this study explains: “We’ve outsourced our manufacturing and much of our pollution, but some of it is blowing back across the Pacific to haunt us,” said U.C. Irvine Earth system scientist Steve Davis, a co-author of the study.
It is time the U.S. government applies a carbon tax on all imports from China. Our manufacturing industry went after the cheap labor that China provides, but the short-term economic windfall of cheap manufactured goods is going to haunt us for decades trying to clean up their (Chinese) mess.
William Nichols

After reading Naomi Cherry’s “cancer” in the earth (letter, Jan. 29), I immediately went to Genesis 1, about the creation.
After verse after verse of items created, it summarizes with: “It was good.” Then in verse 27, man is created.
“God blessed them and said, ‘Be fruitful and multiply,’ replenish it (the earth), subdue it and have dominion over all animals and plant life.”
Then at the culmination, “God saw everything he had made and it was ‘very good.'”
The world view is moving to: “Mother Earth” is god. This is behind the thinking that animal species are going extinct, and are protected to the point that we put human life and our economy in jeopardy.
Cherry gives it away with her comment, “For earth’s sake.” It should to be “for God’s sake.” If we get the chain of command wrong, we are headed for a far worse “cancer” of eliminating of human life through euthanasia, abortion, etc.
When man turns to pantheism (worship of nature), he get things out of order.
We are here to reproduce, preserve life and heal those who are ill. That is our God-given nature. And “that is good.” We need no paradigm shifting if we keep things in God’s order.
Robert D. Poe

Hancock County rose Wednesday under snow emergency Level 3.
Shoveling off the snow on my front porch, I was surprised to find The Courier buried under a few inches of snow.
As much as I love to read the printed version of our city’s newspaper, I was also considering the risks taken by the paper delivery personnel.
In accordance with the sheriff’s office, this highest emergency snow grading level clearly states: “No one should be driving during these conditions unless it is absolutely necessary to travel or a personal emergency exists. Those traveling on the roads may subject themselves to arrest.”
Please consider canceling/postponing the paper delivery under Level 3 snow emergency conditions. We can get by with the online edition until conditions improve.
I want to keep my paper delivery person safe — and out of jail.
Andre Gilbert

First, a little Bible study.
Remember what Jesus said to Peter? “Goats on the left, sheep on the right,” and also, “If you want to catch fish, do it from the right side of the boat.”
They did, and filled the boat.
I have often wondered why it is that conservatives are called the “right” and liberals are called the “left.”
By chance I stumbled upon this verse in the Bible: “The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.” Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV). Thus sayeth the Lord. Amen. It can’t get any simpler than that.
Finally, a spelling lesson. The last four letters in American spell “I Can.” The last four letters in Republican spell “I Can.”
But the last four letters in Democrats? Rats. End of lesson. Test to follow on Nov. 6.
Bob Fenstermaker
Benton Ridge

When I went to school, if we needed to make up school days, we took them from spring break.
One year, we just went to school on Saturdays. That way, we got out of school on the date set for the summer.
John Falls